Friday, October 21, 2016

I just did a Google search for myself

Narcissism happens to the best of us. I returned to this page because I found the picture of parallel-stranded DNA in a Google Image search (along with a less-than-flattering picture of a shirtless me in high school (I was trying to impress a girl, but it ended up not working (go figure))) and I realized that I hadn't updated that post to clarify that chromosomal DNA is not parallel-stranded. I just did that. Here's the current figure in that paper (that may be finished eventually):



Figure 1.  Antiparallel-stranded DNA. The two strands are complimentary, meaning that each  attracts specifically to its partner, and are often unique.  As a consequence of the pairing, ‘genes’ are usually only encoded on one strand. In chromosomal coding DNA, in which the two strands are antiparallel, Adenine (A) pairs with Thymine (T) and Guanine (G) pairs with Cytosine (C). In RNA, T is replaced with Uracil (U). The G-C interaction holds two strands together more tightly than the A-T interaction because there is one more Hydrogen bond between the nitrogenous bases, thus organisms that must thrive in high-temperature environments like deep sea vents tend to have G/C-rich genomes that were naturally selected to keep their genetic material from unraveling. Though not so apparent in this figure, the purine (A,G) and pyrimidine (C,T,U) bases are relatively free to rotate about the bond to the sugar backbone, hence both parallel and antiparallel strand orientations are allowed.


Anyway, I haven't finished that yet because I've been working on two presentations that are conveniently scheduled back-to-back this coming week (Sunday and Monday). One of them is my thesis, which was "done" three months ago but, of course, not finished. While I'm riding that tangent, let me just express my dissatisfaction with academia (again) because my advisor tried to scold me when I jauntily noted that "Science is never actually done." And that's why I need a break. Maybe forever.

Anyway, I am excited to finally defend this thesis while my committee is present.

I'd say "Wish me luck", but I don't need it. Maybe I should do that anyway...

'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment